Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Airplane Reading

How sick am I, that the reason I'm excited about a plane trip to New Orleans is that I can catch up on reading? And it's a bit odd that I'm bringing books to ALA; isn't that like coals to Newcastle?

It's a little ARC heavy because I want to be able to leave the book behind after I've read it. (If I love the book, I can always buy the real one.) They are all YA.

My plane reading:

The Geography of Girlhood by Kirsten Smith. Because the New York Times reviewed it (and in true fashion, picked a reviewer who would be anti YA. And being a YA lover, I want to read it to see how wrong the NYT reviewer was. See, I have lost faith with the NYT but I still allow it to influence me.) (But to be fair to the NYT and it's reviewers, the next week the NYT surprised the heck out of me by having Tanya Lee Stone, an awesome YA writer, review a YA book.) And because Kirsten Smith will be at ALA.

What Happened to Cass McBride by Gail Giles. Because Gail is a very cool writer, I love her other work, and she'll be at ALA. This one's an ARC.

Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith. ARC picked up at BEA; love CLS's blog and website, and since I've been following the publication process I have to read the finished (or nearly finished) product (so yes, having a blog and website does increase interest in books.) Plus vampires!

Monster Blood Tattoo by DM Cornish. ARC that Penguin sent me. I love the cover (and yes, I judge the book by the cover.)

Bread and Roses, Too by Katherine Paterson. ARC. Because it's turn of the century; because it's about immigrants; because its about labor issues, and the older I get the more I value unions; because it's by one of the greatest writers ever.

1 Comments:

Blogger Little Willow said...

The Geography of Girlhood by Kirsten Smith - Enjoyable, especially if you like verse novels.

What Happened to Cass McBride by Gail Giles - I can't wait to read this.

Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith - Enjoy her blog, need to read her books!

Monster Blood Tattoo by DM Cornish - Good start to the series -- and check out the last 100+ pages, a guide/dictionary to the world!

Bread and Roses, Too by Katherine Paterson - Adding to the list of books to read.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home