Friday, June 16, 2006

48 Hour Book Challenge

I'll be participating in the MotherReader 48 Hour Book Challenge this weekend.

I've decided to read those books that have made their way home from the library and are piled dangerously high on my nightstand. I have no idea how many I will be able to get to, but at least the pile will shorter.

In no particular order:

Striking back : the 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and Israel's deadly response by Aaron J. Klein. When the movie Munich came out I was interested in the real story, so I put in an ILL request for this title; I believe I read about it in Publisher's Weekly.

In the coils of the snake by Clare Dunkle. Third in a trilogy that I've really enjoyed; but there are some weird romantic themes if you read it too seriously, in that the goblin kings kidnap their wives. Not as twisted as marrying the person who cuts off your hand, but close.

Avalon High by Meg Cabot. Cause Meg Cabot is awesome. Plus King Arthur references!

Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel; sequel to Airborn. The first was a top-rate adventure story, with pirates, crash landings, and battles.

Just listen : a novel by Sarah Dessen. Cause it's Sarah Dessen. There's some authors you trust to always deliver.

War for the Oaks (explained below)

The wolves of Willoughby Chase (explained below; see, I am literally going thru the entire stack of library books!)

A princess of Roumania (explained below)

Amazing grace by Megan Shull, recommended by Little Willow.

Photo by Brady : a picture of the Civil War by Jennifer Armstrong. From ALSC's Notable Children's Book List.

Fables : march of the wooden soldiers by Bill Willingham. At BEA, I got a signed copy of Fables: Legends In Exile. I know, how cool is that? And Bill Willingham was very, very nice. And that was when I realized that I wasn't current in my Fables reading. For those who don't know it, this is an amazing Graphic Novel that has the members of Fabletown living right in New York, trying to pass as regular people instead of Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, etc. This is not a cutesy kid book; this is hard-edged and funny and grown up.

The sphere of secrets by Catherine Fisher. Book 2 of the Oracle Prophecies, a super cool series set in an world that similar to ancient Egypt; also, the gods are real, which reminds me of David Eddings' Belgariad books.

Mara, daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. This title was mentioned on a discussion list, and as soon as they described the plot I realized that this was a solved stumper! I read this book as a kid, loved it, and had no idea the title or author. Happy day to get this one solved. Now, if you know the one about a group of kids who are at some kind of camp, probably in or near mountains, and one goes all sort of Messiah-ish but in a feel good peacenik 1960s way, forming an Eden like place of peace and happiness until he angry materialistic parents show up, please email me. It was published sometime before 1984.

Permanent Rose by Hilary McKay. It's McKay, it's the Casson family. Based on this, it appears that I have a thing for authors and series.

The red judge by Pauline Fisk. Took it out because of the Booklist review; in particular, that it involves Welsh mythology.

Sir Thursday by Garth Nix. I love, love, love Nix; and his Keys of the Kingdom series is spectacular. (This is the 4th book in that series.) Yes, you have to start at the beginning, with Mister Monday. My Tea Cozy review is here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sophie Brookover said...

Skybreaker was wonderful -- love the aerozoans! Oppel is so good at getting the details just right in that off way that lets you know you're in a fantasyland very close to your own reality. Genius.

Just Listen totally delivers. Look for Remy & Dexter from This Lullaby to make an appearance!

Wolves of Willoughby Chase is one of my all-time favorites. That whole series is exceptionally good. I think I have a thing for alt-history.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home