Monday, June 19, 2006

At my bedside

I've got a lot of books next to my bed. I have a small bookcase there, crammed full of books I intend to read. I never seem to get to them, though, because I keep checking more books out of the library. Here is a sampling of the books in the pile closest to the bed:

Secret Lives of the U.S.Presidents by Cormac O'Brien - full of irreverent, gossipy, but true facts about our Chief Executives. This book is definitely for adults and maybe mature teens. It's got sex and profanity, but it also sneaks in some education along the way.

Alternatives to Sex by Stephen McCauley - this novel got an excellent review in Entertainment Weekly. The author also wrote something called "The Object of My Affection" - am I mistaken, or was a Jennifer Aniston movie made of that (help me out, Pop librarians!)? This book is set in Cambridge, MA, where I lived one summer. It's nice to revisit Boston in a literary way.

The Tween Years and Raising a Thinking Preteen - okay, I have an 8 year old son and I am trying to figure out what is going on in his head!!!

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner - part of a series that is highly recommended by our own Liz B. I am intrigued by the notion of having a book boyfriend - Liz says the main character of this book is a prime candidate.

A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children, compiled by Caroline Kennedy. I confess, some nights I am too tired to read much to my older child. Poetry is great for those times - short and sweet and lyrical and fun. Some poems are just perfect for that before sleep drowsy state. This book is a gem - full of wonderful illustrations and poems that can have many meanings for adults and children at the the same time.

Bob Dylan: The Essential Interviews, edited by Jonathan Cott. I approach this volume with trepidation, because I think Bob has an innate dislike of journalists and likes to mess with their heads. So I know enough not to take his words at face value. But I admit to being a Dylan fan and wanting to know more about the "real" Bob, so I am hoping for a little insight into that. Also, I am sure reading this book will be an interesting way to tour the many phases of Bob - young angry pill-popping Bob, post motorcycle crash Bob, Rolling Thunder Bob, Born Again Bob, post-Born Again Bob, never ending tour Bob, has been Bob, resurrected legend Bob, etc.

Susan Sontag: The Making of an Icon by Carl Rollyson and Lisa Paddock. I picked this up at a bookstore in Greenwich Village with an offbeat inventory and cheap prices. (Of course, I forgot the name - I will try to track it down). The authors live in Cape May County, NJ! I don't know much about Sontag at all, but feel like I should. So the books sits nearby, waiting.

drinkology - Wine: A Guide to the Grape by James Waller - This beautifully designed, compact little tome was a Christmas present. The book is supposed to be an unpretentious guide for people who like wine but lack the time and obsessive compulsion to study the grape, and who do not want to make fools of themselves in front of more sophisticated friends or in wine shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home