Monday, June 19, 2006

Our First Guest Post!

It's all about the Guest Posts here at Librarian's Most Wanted (actually, we may have to rename this blog "Librarians' Most Wanted" - unless we are using "Librarian" in a generic, all-encompassing sense, Hmmm...)

Anyhow, here is our first Guest Post, from the eminent Sophie Brookover, an official Mover & Shaker. Welcome, Sophie!

Yummy Yummy, by The Wiggles -- Entry #4,985,933,324 in the endless parade of kiddie music I'm experimenting with. Mostly, my daughter listens to whatever my husband & I like, so she's been on a fairly steady diet of Johnny Cash, Velvet Underground, Belle & Sebastian, and Bjork for the last 9 months, but we cede the point that eventually, she'll want her own stuff. So I'm previewing the Wiggles for her.

Good Night & Good Luck -- We downgraded our Netflix plan to the cheapest one available, so we're using the library's DVD collection like mad. Free = good. Added bonus: Clooney! Mmmm, Cloooooney.

I Hate Myself and Want to Die, by Tom Reynolds -- subtitled "The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard", and yet promising chuckles galore between the covers, this is a must read for any music-a-holic. Bonus trivia, courtesy of Marcus: the title is apparently one that Kurt Cobain wanted to use for Nirvana's album In Utero.

Gilmore Girls: Complete 5th Season -- I'm 11th in line for this, so we're netflixing what we can while we wait.

The Stolen Child, by Keith Donohue -- I heard a piece about this on NPR and it sounds right up my alley -- fantasy, child-swapping, grief, longing, tinges of magical realism. Yum!

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

"Wiggly, Wiggly World" has been a favorite at our house, especially the song "Six Months In a Leaky Boat", which features guest singer Tim Finn of Split Enz and later Crowded House. I can't remember where I saw it, but some news magazine recently featured The Wiggles, and 2 or 3 of them were in a fairly successful New Wave band in the early 80's. I think that is why their music is popular - it reminds parents on some subliminal level of their younger days.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Liz B said...

I like the Wiggles because a few of them were early education teachers. That, and it's interactive TV -- when watching with my neice when she was little, we'd always get up to dance or shout "wake up, Jeff" at the TV. It was never "sitting back" watching.

8:23 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

Hubby and I, saw Good Night & Good Luck in Florence, Italy before it was released in America...added bonus...you could smoke in the theatre! Both of us, as ex-smokers, were suckin' up the second hand smoke. ;-) Maggie

10:30 AM  
Blogger Liz B said...

My grandfather, an ex smoker, loved to have people smoke around him so he could enjoy the second hand smoke. (And nope, he didn't die of lung cancer.)

Chris, I'm so torn about which librarian's librarians' works better. I've done a temporary switch... what say you?

7:25 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Librarians' makes more sense to me right now - more communal.
Have fun at ALA!

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home